Location: West Bucktown, 2528 W Armitage, Chicago, IL 60647.
*Moksha members are those who have committed to at least a 3-month membership.
Become an events member and receive 20% off events and books, and 10% off boutique items at Moksha.
Sanskrit in History, Theory, and Practice Workshop.
What is Sanskrit? Why is it considered the language of the gods (devav???)? And the language of yoga? This workshop will provide a brief history of this ancient “perfected” (sa?sk?ta) language—from the Vedic period to contemporary India. We will then learn how to pronounce the sounds of the Sanskrit alphabet, arranged in accordance with the human vocal apparatus. We will be using the familiar Roman “script”, learning the common rules of Sanskrit transliteration and diacritic marks.
Students will leave this course with:
• A deeper appreciation for Sanskrit’s rich spiritual and literary history
• A foundation in the principles of Sanskrit grammar
• An understanding of Sanskrit transliteration and diacritics
• Confidence in their ability to accurately pronounce Sanskrit terms
• Awareness of the most commonly mispronounced Sanskrit words in the yoga world!
• A strong foundation for continued Sanskrit study
Please join us! All levels welcome.